About the Certificate
The Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship has been designed to be applicable to students in all areas of study here at NC State. Students who will find this certificate most engaging will be those students interested in turning ideas into action through starting ventures, working in a startup environment or applying entrepreneurial thinking skills to an existing organization.
This certificate differs from the entrepreneurship minors available on campus by giving students a broad overview of the entrepreneurial process from an interdisciplinary perspective. Students who complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship will specifically benefit from the interdisciplinary nature of instructors, peers, teams, mentors, materials, activities, opportunities, community partners and alumni.
- EI 201 Exploring Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking (3 credit hours)
- EI 331 Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking I: Skills and Planning Basics (3 credit hours) **EI 201 is a prerequisite for this course
- EMA 110 Introduction to Arts Entrepreneurship (3 credit hours)
- EMA 365 Foundations in Arts Entrepreneurship (3 credit hours)
- EMA 370 Practical Arts Entrepreneurship (3 credit hours)
- MIE 310 Introduction to Entrepreneurship (3 credit hours)
- MIE 410 Business Opportunity Analysis (3 credit hours) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 412 Finance and Accounting for Entrepreneurs (3 credit hours) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 413 New Venture Planning (3 credit hours) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 416 The Legal Dynamics of Entrepreneurship (3 credit hours) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 419: Entrepreneurship Practicum (3 credit hours) **MIE 413 is a suggested co-requisite for Certificate participants
- FTM 310 Entrepreneurship & New Product Development in Textiles (3 credit hours) ** Students must have junior standing; restricted to College of Textiles students in FTM, FTD or TT degree programs
- ECE 482/MAE 482: Engineering Entrepreneurship and New Product Development I (3 credit hours) **Departmental approval required
- ECE 483/MAE 483: Engineering Entrepreneurship and New Product Development II (3 credit hours) **Departmental approval required
- PS 203 Introduction to Nonprofits (3 credit hours)
- Complete the Andrews Launch Accelerator program with the NC State Entrepreneurship Clinic
- Complete one semester as a volunteer with the NC State B Corp Clinic in an entrepreneurial environment
- Complete one full year of membership in the Albright Entrepreneurs Village
- Complete at least 15 Entrepreneurship Skills Workshops offered through NC State Entrepreneurship (To ensure that minimum standards for an Intensive Experience are met, acceptable workshops will be designated as approved for Certificate Intensive Experience). More details coming soon!
- Complete the Social Innovation Fellows Program
Additional Intensive Experiences may count towards the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship. Please contact the Certificate Director for prior approval of independent Intensive Experiences such as internships, additional capstone courses, or other proposed projects including business development as an NC State Entrepreneurs Garage member, participation in the StartingBloc Institute, etc. Approved Intensive Experiences may be added to this list as they become available and are approved by members of the NC State Entrepreneurship Faculty Advisory Council.
Applications for the Certificate
will be accepted beginning August 1, 2018.
Steps to Get Started
1. Download and fill out the NC State Certificate Declaration Form
- For the student signature: insert a digital signature or print the form, sign it and CLEARLY scan the form into a PDF
- Certificate Title: Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship
- Certificate Code: 24EICPTU
- For Adviser Employee ID and Name: List your adviser’s name, department (if relevant) and college.
- Certificate Coordinator Name: Jennifer A Capps
- Certificate Coordinator Signature: After you have filled out everything that you can fill out, email the form to entrepreneurshipcertificate@
ncsu.edu. It will be signed and returned to you.
2. Turn in the completed form to Registration and Records
- Submit the form as soon as possible to ensure that you are entered into the Student Information System
- After you have been put into the student information system as a certificate participant, you will receive an email from the certificate coordinator.
3. Track your progress through Moodle at the site titled: Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship
Complete the Application Here
Applications will be accepted beginning August 1, 2018.