We’re Hiring a Graduate Student Worker for the Entrepreneurship Garage
Interested in working at the NC State Entrepreneurship Garage as a Graduate Student Worker? We have the perfect position for you!
To Apply: Apply through ePACK.
Search for ‘Entrepreneurship Garage Graduate Technical Assistant’ ID: 136178
Email us at email@example.com to inquire about the position or help us spread the word by sharing this post with someone who may be interested. More details below.
Department: NC State Entrepreneurship / Entrepreneurs Garage
Supervisor: Garage Lead Technician
Graduate Student Worker Information: Technical Support role for Entrepreneurs Garage
Summary Job Function: The Entrepreneurship Garage is an extension of NC State Entrepreneurship. It exists to allow our students to explore, develop and materialize their entrepreneurial endeavors.
The Garage Graduate Student Worker will be a guide and mentor to our growing student and community population. They will act as a first point-of-contact for our members. Daily duties include: answering general member questions related to prototyping, providing guidance on best practices related to design methodologies and equipment use, training students on equipment operation and safety procedures, conducting orientations and workshops, maintaining equipment and ensuring space cleanliness.
The ideal candidate should harbor a passion for prototype development and helping students to achieve their entrepreneurial project goals by sharing their specialized experience and knowledge of design software, prototyping, materials, and shop tools including but not limited to power tools, 3D printers, laser cutters and CNC machines. They should also be comfortable with shop equipment setup, operation and maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a supportive, safe, and clean environment for Garage Makerspace members, staff and visitors.
- Works with the Lead Technician to oversee the Garage Makerspace. Provides and schedules instruction and programming, coordinates efforts with other staff and departments.
- Supports staff with purchasing/budgets and makes recommendations for service and equipment improvements in the Makerspace.
- Assists members with design development, material selection, and equipment usage for the development and optimization of prototypes and entrepreneurial projects.
- Demonstrates interest in, experience with and ability to use and troubleshoot Garage equipment while helping members, including: Power tools, Sewing Machines, 3D Printers, Soldering irons, Laser cutters, CNC machines, etc…
- Demonstrated experience with and the ability to instruct others on the usage of 3D and 2D design software including: Autodesk Fusion 360, 3D Slicer Software, Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw.
- Leads instructional sessions including: new member orientations, safety training, and equipment certification training.
- Tracks and manages inventory and equipment rentals via web-based applications, spreadsheets and printed record-keeping systems.
- Conducts tours and presentations for the Garage Makerspace.
- Manages event scheduling and calendars.
- Creates, updates and maintains general and equipment specific safety and operating procedures.
- Maintains, configures and troubleshoots computer hardware and software across Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Provides both technical and non-technical assistance to Members, Staff and Visitors.
- Maintains and cultivates contact with Garage members, NCSU students/staff, ENT staff and the HQ community.
- Willingness to learn about new technologies and methodologies related to design, electronics, textiles, and prototyping.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
Qualifications for the position:
- Acceptance into a graduate program of study at NC State University
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work nights and weekends, as needed
- Past experience in campus activities programming is strongly preferred
- Past experience in teaching/instruction in a related discipline.
- Proficiency with 2D and 3D software applications supporting rapid prototyping/manufacturing.
- Experience with shop equipment and tools including: Hand tools, Power tools, Drill Press, Scroll Saw, Disc Sander, etc…
- Experience with and understanding of Rapid Prototyping equipment including: 3D printers, Laser cutters and CNC mills.
- This graduate student worker position is a 15-hour per week position.
- This position will receive compensation of $15 per hour.
- One year position (fall and spring semester).
- Graduate student workers are eligible to re-apply to this position.
- Employment will only be granted upon acceptance to an NC State graduate program (master’s or doctoral degrees considered) or comparable program with applicability to the learning outcomes for this position.
- Preference is given to doctoral candidates, MBA candidates, engineering, those studying higher education and/or those involved in a business discipline
Notes: Graduate students who are working 20 hours per week on an assistantship should obtain the approval of the Director of their Graduate Program (DGP) before accepting any other employment. In general, US students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week without approval in the summer. International students can work 40 hours per week only if they are not registered for classes. If registered, they are then restricted to 20 hours per week. Graduate students are advised to obtain any necessary approval prior to accepting temporary employment. [This applies if the graduate student is participating in an official graduate assistantship in another department on campus]
Anticipated Start Date: August 9, 2021